Monday, January 25, 2010

Suicide's Note: machinima video

With the addition of the Machinima video, the depressing feeling of the poem Suicide’s Note, by Langston Hughes was taken to a whole new level. This video definitely added a lot to the effects of the poem, but maybe a bit too much. It amplified the sadness the robot was feeling, and you felt those emotions. I’d say the song contributed a lot to the whole effect of the video.


After watching the video, I feel that whoever made it did a wonderful job of contributing and magnifying the effects of the poem. It was as if all the heart and soul of my existence were being sucked right out of me along with that of the robot. Honestly, after watching this video, I wanted to curl up in a ball and die alongside the robot. It may have had too big of an impact on me, though. With the depressing music, dying robot and sad poem, I think it was more sadness than I could handle.


This video did a good job at staying true to the tone of the poem. It did add much depression and sadness though. Langston Hughes may not have been looking for that result, it may have been a bit over-the-top. That is always a problem with adding on to artists’ work; you never know how much of an impact they are intending to have on an audience. Overall though, this video did a good job of adding meaning to the poem and keeping the same tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment